Blue Ridge Parkway

Posted on Leave a commentPosted in 2014

Southern Virginia and northern North Carolina in the Blue Ridge mountains is a mixture of hardwood forests and dotted with carved out pastures. Through this runs the Blue Ridge Parkway. This is quite possibly the most beautiful stretch of road to be found anywhere. Log cabin barns are still actively used to store tools and implements. When Verizon says they cover 97% of where people live…this is the other 3%. Split rail fences still dot the scenery, […]

Little Round Top

Posted on Leave a commentPosted in 2014

Beginning on July 2, 1863, the Battle of Little Round Top at Gettysburg was a key battle in the Civil War. Confederate troops began an attack to drive northeast up the Emmitsburg Road in the direction of Cemetery Hill, rolling up the Union left flank that morning. Little Round Top was undefended by Union troops at this point. General Sickles, defying direct orders, moved his corps a few hundred yards west to the Emmitsburg Road […]

Biltmore House at Sunset

The Biltmore House at Sunset

Posted on Leave a commentPosted in 2013, Featured, Journeys

This photo of the Biltmore House at Sunset was taken in mid-October around 15 minutes prior to sunset. The Biltmore House and surrounding estate was built by George Vanderbilt in 1895 and stands as the prime example of the gilded age in America’s industrial revolution. George Vanderbilt commissioned Richard Morris Hunt, a favorite architect of the Vanderbilt family, to design the home. The home features over 250 rooms including an indoor swimming pool, bowling alley, […]

Autumn Colors in Millennium Park, Chicago

Posted on Leave a commentPosted in 2012, Journeys

After weeks of cloudy weekends, I headed out with the mighty squirrel hunter on a contemplative walk through Lincoln Park. I’m inspired by the turning leaves. Even knowing the scientific reasoning was the withdraw of green chlorophyll does nothing to reduce the magic. Autumn is the culmination of a year of birth and growth, and it’s as if God wants to paint a final masterful tapestry before settling in for the long, cold winter. We meandered through […]

Peck’s Farm Market

Posted on Leave a commentPosted in 2012, Featured, Journeys

Near the town of Spring Green, Wisconsin and not far from Frank Lloyd Wright’s Taliesin is located a wonderful roadside market. Peck’s is the type of local market where you’ll find the harvest out front, fresh baked pies within, and locals gathered around a radio or small television in the back to watch the local college football game. A thunderstorm had been plaguing us all weekend and drove us to seek refuge here, but in […]