Audubon Park is a city park located in the Uptown neighborhood of New Orleans, Louisiana in the United States. The park is approximately six miles to the west of the city center of New Orleans and sits on land that was purchased by the city in 1871. It is bordered on one side by the Mississippi River and on the other by St. Charles Avenue, directly across from Tulane University and Loyola University. The park is named in honor of artist and naturalist John James Audubon, who began living in New Orleans in 1821.
The land now housing Audubon Park was formerly Plantation de Boré in colonial and early statehood days. It was initially an indigo plantation owned by Étienne de Boré who was also the first mayor of New Orleans. It saw use by Confederate and Union armies during the Civil War.
The city annexed the surrounding Uptown area in 1870, and purchased the plantation land in 1871. The site was the location of the World’s Fair and World Cotton Centennial in 1884. It was after the closing of this fair that the development of Audubon Park in it’s modern form began. The park was designed by John Charles Olmstead, the nephew and adopted son of Frederick Law Olmstead, as part of the Olmstead Brothers firm (Frederick Law Olmstead also designed Central Park in New York City and the Biltmore residence gardens).