The great landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted designed the gardens of the Biltmore Estate between 1889 and 1895, prior to earning acclaim for his work on New York City’s Central Park. The Bass Pond was the continuation of the English garden which began closer to the mansion and near the formal French gardens.
The Bass pond did not occur naturally. In fact, it took careful engineering by Olmstead to ensure the pond remained clear of silt from runoffs. The pond was designed to increase the force of the water in the lake in a way that kept the drainage flume clear.
The exit road today passes by the Bass pond, but it is well worth walking down from the main house to this area, enjoying the numerous gardens along the way, and spending time relaxing at any number of benches surrounding the pond.